Foreword...

This is the first of many entries into my exploration of digital imaging, by keeping a blog I’m hoping to document my progress as I learn about the different thought processes and techniques involved in digital imaging.
Being born in ’87 means that my early memories of photography are pre digital. My fascination with photography stems from my dad’s enjoyment of it, along with the boxes of printed photos and negative film filling up various cupboards. 
If we look even before the digital photography boom artists were using a blend of traditional, hands on photography and computer power to develop new techniques and images. 
Two of my personal favourite artists are Strom Thorgerson and Erik Johansson
Strom created album and single artwork for a long list of the world’s biggest bands including Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Muse and Biffy Clyro before his passing in 2013. He would create surreal and thought-provoking images using a variety of graphic techniques.
For Peter Gabriel’s second album Scratch (1978) he tore finger nail like scrapes through a printed portrait and then used the scanned result as the final image.
Erik Johansson’s digital imaging is something of a wonder to behold, he started out drawing as a child then when he acquired his first camera he began to experiment with layers using his early prints. As his camera and Photoshop skills developed so did his imagination, his pieces of work generally involve 5 or 6 main images along with several other images taken purely for aesthetic purposes. His attention to detail when creating his altered realities is 2nd to non and his Photoshop workflow often has hundreds of layers within a final image.
Both of these artists inspire me to create pieces of my own such as the examples below using multiple layers in Photoshop. 
I’m looking forward to learning more about digital imaging and Photoshop then combining it with the photography skills gained on this course to create something unique to the areas that currently interest me such as pet photography and portrait work.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to InDesign...

Moving image...

Sketchbooking for next years FMP...