Working on location

Over the easter period a notice came up on the College notice board requiring photographers and an editor for paid work. I am fairly handy with Lightroom and Photoshop but was a little hesitant as I've only worked for myself as photographer and was unsure what level of editing would be expected.
I decided to give it a go and it turns out I was working for a level 5 student on my course.
She had taken on the the massive task of doing team and individual player photos at a local football tournament (85+ teams). I generally see any experience as good experience especially as editing is an area I'm keen to improve going forward.



The job required minimal editing in the form of minor exposure adjustments and cropping to the requirements of the print size. That being said it was still a difficult task. I had 4 photographers continuosly arriving with SD cards full of images, the task of editing the images then exporting them and also selecting and printing certain images. All of this whilst being rather under prepared clothing wise for a 10 hour day in a gazebo.



I decided to stick solely to Lightroom for the job as it required a lot of editing with a fast turn around time. I also found the sync button a valuable tool for making minor exposure adjustments to large portions of the images.

Whilst uploading fresh images from the SD cards I was also sending the edited team photos to Nikki's printer. Below is a display board of the images I printed from the morning session.
                                   

I really enjoyed the day and hope that the work I put in gets me on the team for the next time an event comes up. I believe this was Nikki's (and the other photographers) first time at an event like this so I really think we did a great job as a quickly assembled team.

3 things the day taught me:
1. Hard drive space is like gold dust - I arrived with 40GB free on my hard drive and by dinner time I was having to make a conscious effort to delete any images that weren't needed.
2. Turn of 1:1 previews in Lightroom - for batch editing this option really slows the import time down, once turned off my workflow improved.
3.Prepare for any weather/bring a hand warmer - By midday I was shaking so much that I was struggling to control the mouse and press the correct keyboard keys.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to InDesign...

Moving image...

Sketchbooking for next years FMP...