'Float between the books' - editing in photoshop

In Aaron's lesson we were shown the importance of planning and thought when creating a composite image. We were then given the task of creating our own floating composite. Below are the steps I took to complete mine.

Using a bench to lift me of the ground, one of the main components of this composite.


The main two components of this composite are an image of me lying above the ground using a bench and also an image of the background with nothing else present.
The key to a good image is the use of a tripod and more specifically not moving the camera positioning at all between the two shots. This means you do not have to align the two images because it is already done.
The next step was to use Topaz Labs to remove the background including the bench from the image with me in it...adding this layer to photo of the empty room completes the basis of this image.
Individual book images to be used as separate layers in Photoshop.


My next step was to photograph the books that surround me in the final image...I took the shots and lightened them slightly in Lightroom using the sync button to match the exposures.
I then exported them into photoshop as separate files and used the Topaz Labs remask plug-in to remove the backgrounds.
Once the background were removed I converted them all to smart objects and placed them with my image.
I then used the perspective tool in photoshop to slightly alter the positioning and perspective of the books.

This shows a majority of the layers used, including the shadows that I manually created.
To complete the 'trick' I then created some shadows that would be present due to the room lights that are just out of the frame.
I did the by using the quick selection tool on each object (including myself) then filling the shape with black on a new layer, to subdue to the big blocks of black and make them look like convincing shadows I then used a mixture of the the box blur effect and the opacity.

The final image - 'Float between the books'.

For a 30-40 minute project I am happy with the final image, although I do see the flaws in it such as the noise within the blacks of my clothing created by brightening the exposure. If this were a major project I would reshoot with studio lighting or possibly outside to reduce the ISO I had to use.
There is a decent progression between this attempt and an old attempt a few years back, this is mainly down to better planning and attention to detail. Thinking about things such as where the light will fall and the inclusion of shadows all help to convince the viewer that what they are seeing is real therefore it is important to sit down and plan what you are trying to achieve before you jump into it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to InDesign...

Sketchbooking for next years FMP...

Moving image...